MHG17351 - Possible Township, Tobar Kiltavie, Flodigarry
No summary available.
Type and Period (4)
- TOWNSHIP (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- CHAPEL (Undated)
- WELL (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) HOLY WELL? (Undated)
- None recorded
Kildorais in Flodigarry is noted by the NSA (1845) as one of the Cills of Kilmuir, and of pre-Viking date. It is listed by Cockburn (J H Cockburn 1954), as Kildavie Chapel, Flodigarry. There is a Tobar Kiltavie at NG 464 718 (OS 6"map, Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., 1904).
Flodgery is noted as a village in Martin's time (M Martin 1934)
NSA 1845; M Martin 1934; J H Cockburn 1954.
At NG 464 718, immediatley to the E of the Flodigarry House Hotel, in a little hollow in the hillside, is the spring known as Tobar Kiltavie. The hotel proprietress confirmed the name of the spring, but could not indicate the site of the chapel. A perambulation of the area was negative.
No depopulation in the form of ruined houses was seen in the area. Visited by OS (A S P) 22 April 1961.
5.01 centred on 4645 7190 Buildings; Enclosure
- --- SHG2055 Text/Publication/Volume: Cockburn, J H. 1954. The celtic church in Dunblane. 110.
- --- SHG2494 Text/Publication/Volume: Macleod, D J (ed.). 1934. A description of the Western Islands of Scotland circa 1695. 4th. 207.
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Inverness, 234, 256.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4644 7185 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11387 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.