MHG17457 - Old High Church, Inverness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
J Aitken : 19/12/02
Inv/Culloden & Ardersier Local Plan, April 1994: P106/5.7.6. Listed Buildings. POLICY - 2.5.13 will apply.
J Aitken : 23/05/01.
NH64NE 13 6646 4550.
The Parish Church of Inverness is first mentioned in 1170, and was dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
C Fraser-Mackintosh 1893. <1>
(NH 66464550) The first actual reference by name to the Parish Church of Inverness is in a charter by Alexander in 1240. The site of the Parish Church in 1530 and for several centuries prior to that was the site upon which the present High Church is built. F T Macleod 1911. <2>
The present parish church was built in 1770, but its steeple is of unknown age and was possibly part of the old Church of St. Mary, which stood on the spot in the days of Wallace and Bruce. G Eyre-Todd 1923. <3>
The lower part of the steeple dates from about the 14th c. and was part of the old parish church of St. Mary. Inverness Official Guide 1957. <4>
The Church is in use as a place of worship. The tower is the only part of the church containing any features of antiquity.
Visited by OS (W D J) 1 April 1960
Awaiting DES entry 98/036.
Dates: 1772 with 16th Century tower
Inverness, High Church
Architects: Ross & Macbeth (I.C. March 27, 1891)
Architect: W L Carruthers 1899 - alterations
Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <5>
- --- SHG12265 Image/Photograph(s): Old High Church.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG12266 Image/Photograph(s): Old High Church.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG12267 Image/Photograph(s): Old High Church.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG12268 Image/Photograph(s): Building, Old High Church.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG12269 Image/Photograph(s): Old High Church.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG12270 Image/Photograph(s): Old High Church.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG23810 Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- --- SHG25366 Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 02/2010. A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- SHG8633 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: Inverness, Old High Church & Free North Church. Colour Print. .
- <1> SHG1634 Text/Publication/Article: Fraser-Mackintosh, C. 1893. 'The chantry altars and chaplains of S. Mary's Church, Inverness', Trans Aberdeen Eccles Soc Vol. 2 1893, p.49-60. Trans Aberdeen Eccles Soc. 49-60. 49-50.
- <2> SHG1216 Text/Publication/Article: Macleod, F T. 1911. 'Notes on the Chapel Yard, Inverness, and some of its old monuments, with a notice of heraldic devices on tombstones at Kilmun', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 45 1910-11, p.198-219. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 198-219. 200, 203.
- <3> SHG2175 Text/Publication/Volume: Eyre-Todd, G. 1923. Famous Scottish burghs: their romantic story. 205.
- <4> SHG1905 Text/Publication/Volume: Anon. 1957. Inverness Official Guide. 36.
- <5> SHG23810 Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6645 4550 (49m by 43m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB35179 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG17457 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13346 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.