MHG17484 - Possible Bronze Age settlement, Rosskeen
A series of pits and postholes were recorded at Rosskeen. In a number, large fragments of decorated Bronze Age pottery including buckets, bowls and part of a cordoned urn were found. It is probable that they represent features associated with a Bronze Age settlement site.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A series of pits and post holes containing quantities of decorated Bronze Age pottery were found. No certain structures could be identified and it is probable that they were the remains of small buildings secondary to a house outwith the stripped area. Recorded during archaeological supervision of the topsoil strip for the Dingwall - Invergordon British Gas pipeline.
Sponsor: British Gas
J Wordsworth 1993 <1>
In an area of ridge and furrow, between the furrows, a series of pits and postholes were recorded during observation on the route of the Dingwall-Invergordon pipeline. They were filled with a charcoal-rich silt. Though no certain structures could be identified it is probable that they were the remains of small buildings secondrary to a house outwith the stripped area. Large fragments of decorated Bronze Age pottery including buckets, bowls and part of a cordoned urn were found. <2>
- <1> SHG542 Text/Publication/Article: Wordsworth, J. 1993. 'Dingwall-Invergordon British Gas pipeline (Rosskeen parish)', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1993, p.49-50. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 49-50. 49-50.
- <2> SHG24818 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J. 1993. Dingwall-Invergordon British Gas Pipeline 1993: Archaeological Report. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. Digital (scanned as PDF). Sites 8, 16-21, 24-28.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6886 6944 (160m by 160m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- SHERD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/85346 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.