MHG17486 - Ridge and furrow at Rosskeen
Ridge and furrow cultivation was recorded during observation on the Dingwall to Invergordon pipeline.
Type and Period (2)
- RIG AND FURROW (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A large ditch 2m wide by 2.25m wide by 2.25m with a secondary fill of oyster shell and animal bone is thought to be contemporary with the extensive broad rig cultivation that lay to the W over the Bronze Age occupation described on NH66NE 41. Recorded during archaeological supervision of the topsoil strip for Dingwall - Invergordon British Gas pipeline.
Sponsor: British Gas
J Wordsworth 1993 <1>
During observation along the route of the Dingwall to Invergordon pipeline, opposite Rosskeen a
gravel terrace was found. This contained the remains of extensive broad rig furrows (site 4) set c3m apart. Though the ground was relatively level topsoil had built up here to a depth of 850mm. Apart from two amorphous pits (site 5) and ( site 6) no features were found that might have predated the rig and furrow cultivation.
To the E of Rosskeen Church further broad rig furrows (site 15) were found and these were cut as much as 150mm into the fine gravel subsoil. It is possible that these furrows lay within a field defined by (9) a substantial ditch over 2m wide by 1m deep that ran parallel to these furrows. <2>
- <1> SHG542 Text/Publication/Article: Wordsworth, J. 1993. 'Dingwall-Invergordon British Gas pipeline (Rosskeen parish)', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1993, p.49-50. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 49-50. 49.
- <2> SHG24818 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J. 1993. Dingwall-Invergordon British Gas Pipeline 1993: Archaeological Report. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. Digital (scanned as PDF). Sites 4-6, 9, 15.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6878 6945 (372m by 307m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/85350 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.