MHG17508 - Trough & bog butter, 200m N of Schoolhouse, Midtown

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • FINDSPOT (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NB GR corrected to above. School is marked on 1st ed OS at 182123 884952 with small cottage to W. The GR above places the trough etc on the E side of the stream, not on the W with NMRS GR - HAW 8/2003

NG88NW 1 c. 820 856
May 1893 a 'dish' or trough was discovered when peat was being dug about 200 yards (182m) N of former schoolhouse at Old Midton and about 10 yards (9.1m) W of B8057 public road. The area is situated near W shore of Loch Ewe at an altitude of about 25m OD, and object had probably been covered by at least 3m depth of peat deposit. Part of one end was lost during recovery and fragment of 'straw or hay rope' that was found beside trough disintegrated upon exposure to air. The fate of trough itself is unknown.
On examination object was found to be worked from a single piece of what was probably well-preserved bog-oak. Its form was not recorded in detail and no drawings were made, but it was said to be oblong on plan and upper parts of each end projected for about 1?" (38mm) to form what were probably ledge-handles; one of these had been pierced vertically as if trough were to be stored hanging. There was a second hole, which had been plugged, in bottom at same end.
The recorded external measurements were 2'1" (0.6m) in length by 1'2" (0.4m) transversely and 4" (0.1m) in depth, and the corresponding internal dimensions were 1'8" (0.5m), 1'1" (0.3m) and 4" (0.1m) respectively. The sides and bottom measured between ?" (6mm) and ?" (13mm) in thickness, and the bottom of the cavity measured 1'6" (0.5m) by 11" (0.3m).
On basis of these figures and on assumption that it was roughly rectangular, volume of the cavity was about 15 litres. When found, it was filled with bog butter which had evidently been poured into it in a molten state.
D Macrae 1894; C Earwood 1993; R J C Mowat 1996.

(Location cited as NG 82 87). Two discoveries of bog butter have been recorded; both are now apparently lost. One was found 'deep' in a peat bog in 1893, and was contained in a rectangular trough with a rope beside it. The other was found in about 1891-3 'only a few yards' away.
NMRS, MS/996/1.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 8211 8500 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NG88NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish GAIRLOCH

Finds (3)

  • ROPE (Undated)
  • BOG BUTTER (Undated)
  • TROUGH (Undated)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.