MHG17533 - Probable Round house, The House of Rosskeen
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A roundhouse with a post circle of 7m lay to E of an extensive group of rectangular pits. These pits are thought to have been originally timber lined, though no trace of such a lining survives. A lack of diagnostic finds makes dating and interpretation difficult, though it is probable they were used for an industrial process such as tanning. Recorded during archaeological supervision of the topsoil strip for Dingwall - Invergordon British Gas pipeline. Sponsor: British Gas
J Wordsworth 1993 <1>
A round house was recorded during observation on the Dingwall to Invergordon pipeline. 13 pits with an average diameter of 0.6m formed a distinctive post ring 7m in diameter. This was a marshalling/ turning area for site vehicles and only limited access was available, so that only two pits were sectioned. They revealed stone‐packed sockets 0.25m wide by 300mm deep as surviving. Other pits were adjacent but could not be cleaned in the time available. Apart from the unexamined oblong pit on the side near a possible entrance, no interior features or traces of burnt soil were noted. The possible entrance was 2.5m wide. The pit fills were a sticky clayish loam.
This was interpreted as a timber built round house, with internal features and any possible shallower external ring of post holes now ploughed away. <2>
GIS adjusted based on information received from Jonathan Wordsworth. <3>
- <1> SHG542 Text/Publication/Article: Wordsworth, J. 1993. 'Dingwall-Invergordon British Gas pipeline (Rosskeen parish)', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1993, p.49-50. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 49-50. p. 50.
- <2> SHG24818 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J. 1993. Dingwall-Invergordon British Gas Pipeline 1993: Archaeological Report. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. Digital (scanned as PDF). Site 12.
- <3> SHG24799 Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6970 6942 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/85355 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.