MHG17534 - Easter Cudrish Steading
The remains of a farmstead which is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1876. The remains include the farmhouse, and earlier cruck framed house, and the steading which includes a horse mill.
Type and Period (4)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD)
- CRUCK HOUSE (16th Century to 18th Century - 1560 AD? to 1800 AD)
- HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1876 AD (at some time))
- TREADMILL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NH53SW 23 5075 3482
A farmstead, comprising five roofed buildings and one unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xviii). Three roofed buildings and one unroofed building is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1975).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 17 May 1996.
The farm survives as an L-shaped steading with a small two-storey farmhouse that is still roofed with tiles. There are the remains of an earlier cruck-framed farmhouse to the the E which measures at least 7m by 5m and the crucks appear to have been set 3m apart. At the N end of the W side of the steading there are the remains of a horse-mill measuring 6m in diameter.
J Wordsworth 15 December 1995; NMRS MS 961/9, no.9
This site was visited by local researcher, Eddie Freeman, in September 2008. The farmhouse has been stripped of its slate roof and the wooden boards and dormer are deteriorating. No roof remains on the once extensive steading. The horse mill mentioned above is only apparent by a raised platform. Information from R Pape, Farley, Beauly states that after the Second World War both Eastern and Wester Cudrish crofts were offered for rent of £45 pa for both. No one took up the tenancy as the nearest water was in the "Red Burn" at the main road (A833). <1>
Photographs were taken by I MacLean in 2012. <2>
Wordsworth J, 1995, An Archaeological Survey of a Proposed Plantation at Blairmore and Cudrish, Glencovinth (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG21199.
<1> Freeman, E, 09/2008, Photographs and other information re Easter and Wester Cudrish crofts (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23988.
<2> MacLean, I, 2012, Email from Iain MacLean regarding Easter Cudrash (Text/Correspondence). SHG25736.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J. 1995. An Archaeological Survey of a Proposed Plantation at Blairmore and Cudrish, Glencovinth. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 15/12/1995. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Freeman, E. 09/2008. Photographs and other information re Easter and Wester Cudrish crofts. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: MacLean, I. 2012. Email from Iain MacLean regarding Easter Cudrash. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5077 3481 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/83565 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.