MHG17542 - Quern Stone - Arpafeelie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
Wrong NMRS link
NH65SW 18 6102 5042.
A rotary quern was found buried in a shallow pit, when monitoring the Inverness-Dingwall gas pipeline.
J Wordsworth 1992. <1>
During observation on the Inverness to Dingwall Gas Pipeline, at the back of Arpafeelie, a re-used rotary quern was found buried in a shallow pit. The presence of a small piece of ?Iron Age pottery gave some suggestion of a date for this. <2>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wordsworth, J. 1992. 'Ross and Cromarty District (various parishes)', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1992, p.45. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 45. 45.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J. 11/1992. Inverness - Dingwall British Gas Pipeline 1992: A report on Archaeological Discoveries made on the route of this pipeline from June until October 1992. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. Digital (scanned as PDF). Site 34.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6101 5042 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- ROTARY QUERN (Iron Age - 550 BC? to 560 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/83465 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.