MHG1767 - Broch, Upper Sour
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 6" map, (1970)
A large grassy mound, sloping away gradually to S, and containing ruins of a broch at its N end, has been quarried to some extent, but no wall is exposed anywhere. The diameter of the mound has been from 60 to 70ft, and some 8 or 9ft in height.
Classified as a broch. A Graham 1949
The greatly mutilated remains of grass-covered mound are now almost square due to ploughing on two sides; it now measures 33m across by 2.7m high. The only distinguishable feature is a small kerb-like section 0.3m high on SE side. There is a modern cairn on N segment.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 16 February 1965
The remains of a broch surviving as a mound surmounting a larger mound, all overgrown with rough grass. The broch mound is about 18m diameter and 1.5m high but it is truncated on N side by ploughing, and mutilated by surface quarrying. A content of slabs is exposed in N flank. The larger mound is as described by the previous authorities. Visited by OS (N K B) 15 February 1982
'Broch', Upper Sour. Dimensions: 35 x 34m. Subcircular grass-covered mound 4m high quarried on the SW side. Coursing is visible on the NW side. At the top there is a platform 16m in diameter, surmounted by a modern cairn.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 35, No. 114 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Graham, A, 1949, 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99, 96 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1531.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 96.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 35, No. 114.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1084 6055 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:2218 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2218 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8545 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.