MHG1768 - Braal Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
Braal Castle (NR) (remains of) OS 6" map, (1970)
The ruins of Braal Castle are situated at rear of present mansion, on N bank of Thurso River. The tower is a rectangular, rubble-built structure measuring externally some 35 by 37ft and existing to level of top of second storey. The walls are from 8-10ft in thickness. The entrance door is on first floor level through the SW angle and just within it staircase rises to right in thickness of wall.
The castle probably dates from 14th century. In 1375 or 1376, Robert II granted to his son David Stewart, Castle of Brathwell and all lands thereof. In 1547, castle was in the possession of George, Earl of Caithness.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910
Braal Castle, a roofless shell as described by previous authorities, and now in danger of collapse.
Visited by OS (N K B) 15 February 1982
Braal Castle. Structure conforms to OS description, but not entered as in a dangerous state of dilapidation.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
West Caithness Local Plan, May 1987: P71/5.16. Woodland Amenity.
POLICY - The Council will encourage maintenance of areas of woodland important to amenity.
J Aitken : 22/05/01.
- --- SHG12691 Image/Photograph(s): Braal Castle, Halkirk.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG12692 Image/Photograph(s): Braal Castle, Halkirk.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG24258 Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 7. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 140, 148.
- --- SHG24260 Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Archaeology Unit. HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 9. Colour slide. . Digital (scanned). 175-8, 180-1.
- --- SHG2442 Text/Publication/Volume: MacGibbon, D and Ross, T. 1887-92. The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. Hardback. Vol. 3, 137.
- --- SHG2664 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 30-1, No. 95.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1378 6011 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM619 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8546 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.