MHG1771 - Broch, Geise
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Brough (NR) OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
This mound, overgrown with grass, appears to have been a broch, but it has been quarried into and the greater part of the structure has been removed, so that there is now no definite indication off its character. This is possibly the "Pict's house' referred to by Pococke (1774). RCAHMS 1911; R Pococke 1887
Listed as an uncertain broch. A Graham 1949
The grass-covered mound, measuring 26-30m across by 1.5m high, is now so greatly mutilated and robbed that it is impossible to ascertain whether it is a cairn or a broch, although its topographical position tends towards the latter.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 16 February 1965
(ND 1036 6480) Mound (NR) OS 6" map, (1970)
As described by previous field investigator. Its size, general shape and location beside a burn suggest a broch, but no wall faces are exposed.
Visited by OS (J B) 23 October 1981
"Broch" Dimensions: 26 x 20m. Circular, grass-covered mound almost completely quarried away, leaving no definite indication of it's character. Orientation E-W.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
Kemp, D W (ed.), 1887, Tours in Scotland 1747, 1750, 1760, 133 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2624.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 118-19, No. 430 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Graham, A, 1949, 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99, 96 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1531.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 96.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Kemp, D W (ed.). 1887. Tours in Scotland 1747, 1750, 1760. 133.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 118-19, No. 430.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1036 6480 (47m by 50m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8550 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.