MHG1776 - Burial cairn, Sinclair's Sithean
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Sinclair's Sithean (NR) (Cairn) (NR) (Human Remains found) (NAT) OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
This is a long cairn, turf-covered and partly overgrown with gorse. It has been considerably robbed in places, leaving surface v uneven, but it still stands up to 7ft high at SE end and about 3.5ft high at NW end. The cairn is composed of irregular stones with a fair covering of earth. The presence of large stones on E corner of the cairn edge suggests that cairn was never horned. Of the various large stones lying about SE end, only one, 12ft from end and almost on centre line of the cairn, appears to be earthfast. Over rest of cairn, 5 stones protrude.
ONB (1872) states that cairn was opened 'many years ago' when human remains were discovered.
The RCAHMS (1911), quoting the Ground Officer at Stemster, states that a short cist was found, just below surface at ESE end, about 1880. The cist contained an unburnt interment.
Name Book 1872; RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963, visited 1957.
Sinclair's Sithean: a long cairn, as described and planned by Henshall. Revised at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (R D) 10 November 1965
(ND 1655 6245) Sinclair's Sithean (NAT) Long Cairn (NR)
OS 6" map, (1970)
No change to the previous reports.
Visited by OS (J M) 28 October 1981
Long cairn, 'Sinclair's Sithean'. Length: 52m. Long cairn situated on a natural ridge, containing a number of hollows. Orientation NNW-SSE.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 1, 14 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3339.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 4, No. 10 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 288-9, CAT 50; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S, 1991, The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents, 137; plan (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2115.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 137; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 4, No. 10.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 1, 14.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 288-9, CAT 50; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1656 6246 (40m by 40m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:480 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM480 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8526 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.