MHG17860 - Palisaded Enclosure and Roundhouses - Aldourie Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (4)
- CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC to 560 AD)
- PIT CIRCLE (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC to 560 AD)
- (Alternate Type) PALISADED ENCLOSURE (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC to 560 AD)
- (Alternate Type) ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC) (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Air photography has revealed a large circular enclosure c22m in diameter c375m S of Aldourie Farm. Within the enclosure is at least one circular slot c18m in diameter and an internal pit circle c8m in diameter. (AP nos. 8903.17-22 held in Inverness Museum; see also Archive.)
Information from J Harden 1989.
Aerial photographs are available on the HES Canmore record. A circular enclosure with an internal ring of pits and another ring of pits to the outside of the enclosure are visible. See link below. <1>
Following a review of the aerial photographs, the enclosure and circle of pits have been reinterpreted as a circular palisaded enclosure and the remains of a later prehistoric roundhouse.
Information from RCAHMS (KMM) 11 April 2014
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Harden and Bone, G and J. 1990. 'Aerial photographic surveys', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1990, p.21-2, 23, 24. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 21-2, 23, 24. 23.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 76682.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6030 3649 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/76682 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.