MHG17922 - Findspot of flints, Bay of Sannick
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 8000 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Site visit 1/7/2003 with Paul Humphreys who monitors this site. He reported flints being eroded from the shore edge in this area, some from a very considerable height, over the years. He referred to a collection of finds frrom bach below that includes scrapers & blades & 1 mesolithic core - HAW 7/2003
ND37SE 35 396 734
Over a period of several years a number of lithics have been collected by P Humphreys from the rear of ebach in bay of Sannick, to W of Duncansby Head. A recent visit to site by both contributors and students from Glasgow University resulted in the recovery of around 35 further lithics. The collection consists exclusively of flint and includes, scrapers, cores, blades and flakes, but is dominated by waste material. Some calcinated animal bone was also recovered. The material appears to have washed down onto beach from raised beach terrace which rises up immediately to its rear. Though interpretation of such a small sample of material is subject to severe limitations it can be suggested that lithics are of a Mesolithic type. If this is case this collection can be added to those recovered from Freswick Links as evidence for Mesolithic activity in this part of northern Scottish mainland. It is hoped that a fuller investigation of this site, which is obviously subject to erosion, will be possible in the near future.
T Pollard and P Humphreys 1993
A flint flake from the Bay of Sannick, Duncansby Head is listed in the NMS catalogue under Acc. No. 2009.148. <1>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Caithness, bronze brooch.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Pollard and Humphreys, T and P. 1993. 'Bay of Sannick (Canisbay parish): midden deposit', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1993, p.42. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 42. 42.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. 2009.148.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3960 7340 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- DEBITAGE (Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 8000 BC to 551 BC)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 8000 BC to 551 BC)
- FLAKE (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/83022 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.