MHG17924 - Prehistoric occupation, Dalmore Farm
Features, including post holes from a probable roundhouse, a circular post-built building, two grain storage pits and an iron-working site, were recorded on the route of the Dingwall to Invergordon pipeline.
Type and Period (3)
- HUT CIRCLE SETTLEMENT (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- IRON WORKING SITE (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- GRAIN STORAGE PIT (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NH66NE 49 666 690
In an area centred here probable Iron Age settlement was found. The features included post holes from a probable roundhouse, a circular building 8m in diameter with posts c. 100 mm in diameter, two grain storage pits with c. 5 kg of carbonised grain as well as another possible building and an area of iron working represented by hammer scale. Recorded during archaeological supervision of the topsoil strip for the Dingwall-Invergordon British Gas pipeline.
Sponsor: British Gas.
J Wordsworth 1993. <1>
On the E side of the B817 Alness -Invergordon road, the remains of a series of features thought to be prehistoric in date were recovered. These were set into a compact fine gravel. They included a small fragment of a possible roundhouse (site 52), a circular structure (site 43) 8m in diameter with posts c.100mm diameter, two grain storage pits (site 51) and (site 53) as well as another possible building (site 46) and an area of iron working, with pits from which hammerscale was recovered (site 29). 5kg of carbonised grain was recovered from the storage pits. Whilst it is not certain whether these features are contemporary, they do suggest the remains of an Iron Age agricultural settlement. <2>
- <1> SHG542 Text/Publication/Article: Wordsworth, J. 1993. 'Dingwall-Invergordon British Gas pipeline (Rosskeen parish)', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1993, p.49-50. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 49-50. p. 49.
- <2> SHG24818 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J. 1993. Dingwall-Invergordon British Gas Pipeline 1993: Archaeological Report. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. Digital (scanned as PDF). Sites 29, 40-47, 49-53.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6660 6900 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/85363 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.