MHG1793 - Dovecot, Freswick
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DOVECOT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Dove Cot (NAT) OS 6" map, Caithness, 1st ed., (1872)
This 16th century (RCAHMS 1933) beehive-shaped dovecot stands 20 to 22ft in height.
RCAHMS 1911; 1933.
This dovecot, which is in perfect condition, is now used as a hen house. It has two entrances, one in S, other in E side. The internal diameter of dovecot is 3.9m, with walls 0.9m thick at ground level, and survives to height stated above. There are 3 string courses on outside wall.
Visited by OS (R D) 10 September 1965.
(ND 3769 6708) Dovecot (NR) OS 25" map, (1969)
The dovecot, as described and illustrated, has fifteen rows of nesting boxes around interior, the lowest having approximately forty boxes. It is now home for a number of rock doves.
Visited by OS (J B) 21 July 1982.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Beaton, E. 1976. 'Notes on three Caithness Doocots', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 1976, p.110-11. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 110-11. 110.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1933. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eleventh report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the counties of Fife, Kinross, and Clackmannan. . lx.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 18, No. 47.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3769 6708 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1802 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9302 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.