MHG1802 - Possible Stone Circle, Lower Camster


No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • STONE ALIGNMENT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
  • (Alternate Type) STONE CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The stones stand on a slightly raised circular knoll above the peat substantially on E side of the road. Three stones are visible from the road (although others could well be present buried under the rough cover). The tallest lies towards the NE extent of the knoll, another (small) lies close to the road. This site merits further investigation to assess its form and extent. NB another large suspicious stone lies recumbent beside the new forestry track several hundred metres to the N) - HAW 24/05/2005

ND24NE 7 2598 4585.
(ND 2599 4585) Three small erect stones.
Information and plan from Prof A Thom, Dunlop to OS 27 4 1970.

On E side of road from Watten to Lybster, slightly N of point where a track branches off to Camster, are two standing stones. That nearest the road is some 30ft distant from it. It is a low stone standing 2ft 10ins above ground, measuring 3ft 9ins in breadth and 10ins in thickness, and faces NNE-SSW. Some 170ft N of it is another similar slab, 2ft 8ins high, 3ft 5ins broad, and 10ins thick, facing NNW-SSE. The latter stone does not seem to be very deeply set. It is not certain that these stones form, or are part of, a prehistoric monument.
(This description does not agree with Thom's plan.)
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910. <1>

Two upright slabs, A and C, probably standing stones, are generally as described by RCAHMS. Third stone (B) seen by Thom appears to be an upright boulder to W of other two although Thom's plan shows it to E. It measures 0.4m wide by 0.5m high and 0.7m long and has more recent look about it than other two.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (I S S) 22 March 1972.

(ND 2598 4585) Standing Stones (NR) OS 1;10,000 map (1975)

No change. Visited by OS (J M) 8 December 1982.

The site was visted and photographed by D Glass on the 16th of April 2007. Both the north and the south standing stone were photographed.

<1> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 187, No. 574 (Text/Report). SHG2664.

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred ND 2597 4585 (52m by 86m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND24NE
Civil Parish WICK
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.