MHG1817 - Camster South Cairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
ND24SE 17 2603 4390.
The remains of a small cairn 27'diameter and 2'high with a cist, 5'to 6 'diameter, exposed in the centre. An unburnt skeleton is said to come from the cist. According to Feachem (1963) this cairn is not one of the 'Grey Cairns of Camster', but the ONB (1872) includes it under that heading. Anderson (1886) suggests an association with the stone rows (ND24SE 3).
Name Book 1872; J Anderson 1886; RCAHMS 1911; R W Feachem 1963.
A mound of bare, rubble stones about 9m diameter and 0.4m high. The centre has been dug into and the stones heaped around to form a rough shelter about 3m diameter, within which is one earthfast slab on edge, 1m long, facing NE-SW, which is probably part of the cist. Two loose slabs lie beside it. The cairn would appear to be too far (about 100m) from the stone rows to be directly associated.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS 11 April 1972.
The cairn was included within the Scheduling for the Grey Cairns of Camster to the north (see MHG1809 and MHG1816) by Historic Environment Scotland in 2017. <1>
- --- SHG1898 Text/Publication/Volume: Anderson, J. 1886. Scotland in pagan times: the bronze and stone ages: the Rhind lectures in archaeology for 1882. Vol. 1, 130.
- --- SHG2187 Text/Publication/Volume: Feachem, R W. 1963. A Guide to Prehistoric Scotland. 1st. 43.
- --- SHG2664 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 184, No. 565.
- --- SHG3343 Text/Publication/Monograph: Ordnance Survey. Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. 13. Book No. 13, 234.
- <1> SHG27816 Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2017. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM90056 Grey Cairns of Camster. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2601 4390 (37m by 38m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM90056 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8694 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.