MHG18268 - Pilot's House, Castlehill Pavement Works
C19 pilot's house.
Type and Period (1)
- PILOT OFFICE (Built, 19th Century - 1824 AD to 1872 AD (between))
- None recorded
Renumbered from ND16NE0107A <1>.
The Castlehill Flagstone Trail lists this building as the Pilot's House. It is assumed therefore that the building would have been the office/house of a qualified pilot and expert in ship-handling with local knowledge. The pilot would have assisted the captain or master to take a vessel in or out of the harbour or through narrow or difficult waters. The house is of two storeys with a one and a half storey outhouse set a right angles to the SW-facing elevation. The house is constructed almost entirely of local flagstone and includes some imaginative and unusual uses of the material - see the very large cut flagstones used as ballistrades on the steps to the front door. Many of the timber window and door fittings survive. The roof is of flagstone tiles laid over timber boarding. The SE gable wall has a large opening with a gauged stone arch formed of vertically laid flagstone cut into the wall at ground level. The building currently stands derelict <2>.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1956 6861 (16m by 16m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/85947 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.