MHG18285 - Township, Garadheancal - Tanera More
Township, Garadheancal on Tanera More
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A township comprising fifteen roofed and three unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Cromartyshire 1881, sheet iiiA). Six roofed and eight unroofed buildings, and a sheepfold of three compartments are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1969).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 25 September 1995
An area of small cairns within a drystone dyke, a short stretch of stone revetment and a 50m stretch of dyke, all within the boundary of Garadheancal township, were recorded during a pre-afforestation survey by Headland Archaeology (NMRS MS 899/80, nos.6-9). The buildings of the township lie to the N of the area designated for planting and were not recorded during the survey.
L Baker and C Moloney (Headland Archaeology) 24 April 1998; NMRS MS 899/80, nos.6-9
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <1>
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NB 9939 0711 (374m by 432m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/89483 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.