MHG18286 - Possible Township, An Lochanach - Tanera More
Farmstead and enclosures, An Lochanach on Tanera More
Type and Period (2)
- TOWNSHIP? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be a small township comprising four roofed and three unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Cromartyshire 1881, sheet iiiA). One roofed and three unroofed buildings and two enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1969).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 25 September 1995
Three structures, an enclosure, turf dykes and several areas of cultivation were recorded over the E end of Tanera More around the possible township of An Lochanach, during a pre-afforestation survey by Headland Archaeology (NMRS MS 899/80, nos.10-15).
L Baker and C Moloney (Headland Archaeology) 24 April 1998; NMRS MS 899/80, nos.10-15
The North of Scotland Archaeological Society surveyed Tanera Mor in October 2007. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M.. 2017. Report (incomplete) of an Archaeological Survey of the Island of Tanera Mor by members of NOSAS - Saturday, 20th October 2007. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital. p.11.
|Grid reference||Centred NB 9980 0688 (119m by 203m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/89484 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.