MHG1831 - Stone Rows - Loch of Camster
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STONE ALIGNMENT (Undated)
(Area: ND 259 438) A series of stone rows, apparently largely intact, although the majority of the stones lie beneath several inches of peat. There are six rows, running approximately N - S and radiating slightly in the latter direction. At N end they measure some 32' across and at S end 42'. The greatest length is 88'. The stones in rows are of the usual class - thin slabs facing across the rows and set from 5'6" to 7' apart. Counting from W, following numbers of stones were located in each row:- Row 1: 11, Row 2: 9, Row 3: 5, Row 4: 4, Row 5: 3 Row 6: 2. (1) Anderson's plan, based on a survey by Sir Henry Dryden in 1871, shows 38 erect stones and 34 beneath the surface.
RCAHMS 1911; J Anderson 1880;
Visible on RAF APs 106G/Scot/UK76: 3268-9: 9 May 1946.
The site was Scheduled in 1939.
Stone rows at ND 2603 4378 generally as described by RCAHMS except that further peat growth has obscured more of the stones and only 18 stones, in 5 rows, can be seen, their tops just protruding through the peat.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (I S S) 11 April 1972.
(ND 2602 4377) Stone Rows (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
The Scheduling was amended by Historic Environment Scotland in 2017. <1>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to OS MasterMap. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Freer and Myatt, R and L J. 1982. 'The multiple stone rows of Caithness and Sutherland. 2. Their description. I', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 3 April 1982, p.58-63. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 58-63. 62, No. 9; plan fig. 7.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Anderson, J. 1886. Scotland in pagan times: the bronze and stone ages: the Rhind lectures in archaeology for 1882. Vol. 1, 129; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 187, No. 573; plan.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Thom, A. 1971. Megalithic lunar observatories. 99-100; plan N 1/14.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Ruggles, C L N. 1981. A critical examination of the megalithic lunar observatories. SHG23416. 153-209. 193.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2017. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM463 Camster, stone rows 450m WSW of S end of Loch of Camster. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2601 4377 (20m by 37m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM463 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8708 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.