MHG18414 - Township - Creag Na Sroine

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH68NE 68 670 896

A township, comprising, six unroofed buildings, three enclosures and a field-system, is depicted on 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879-81, cxi). Two lengths of field wall are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 22 November 1995.

This township was visited during the course of a forestry survey by Headland Archaeolgy (NMRS MS 899/25, no.27). Inspection was hampered by the dense softwood plantation covering the township although the extents appear similar to that depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879-81, sheet cxi).
S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.27

NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5sq km of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874.
NH 670 896 Township. (NMRS NH 68 NE 68)
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Carter 1997

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6700 8960 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH68NE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish CREICH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.