MHG1842 - Broch, Appnag Tulloch

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Appnag Tulloch (NAT) Broch (NR) (remains of)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

Appnag Tulloch: The grass-covered ruins of a broch lying on rock outcrop. Excavations in 1910 revealed the entrance passage on the W.
The broch has been c60ft in overall diameter, with walls 12-13ft thick. The mound is about 8ft high. At the edge of the rock on E are the remains of a breastwork which has commanded the easy gradient of approach. On the W, in front of the entrance, disturbances indicate the existence of outbuildings. To the NW two or three large slabs set on end protrude from 1 to 2.5ft above ground, but the 'Standing Stones' published (at ND 2120 3590) on the OS map are no longer visible.
RCAHMS 1911.

Appnag Tulloch (name verified) is a broch with vague traces of outbuildings, as described by the RCAHMS.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 12 May 1967.

A single course of outer face shows N of the broch entrance, but otherwise the site is generally as described by the RCAHMS.
Visited by OS (J M) 22 March 1983.


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 59-60, No. 218 (Text/Report). SHG2664.

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 2121 3591 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND23NW
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.