MHG18470 - Midden - Milton of Culloden
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SHELL MIDDEN (Mesolithic - 8000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- None recorded
NH74NW 81 7116 4704
Monitoring of the Inverness-Dingwall Gas Pipeline revealed the remains of a shell midden with a microlithic industry in association.
Sponsors: British Gas; Highland Regional Council.
J Wordsworth 1992. <1>
An area of crushed /compacted shell with associated black silt. Mussel, winkle, oyster shell & dog whelk were identified. Fairly decomposed. Margins of feature difficult to establish as it is probably the residue of a much more extensive feature.
Some of the material may have been incorporated into the later kiln, identified alongside the midden. This was interpreted as a mesolithic? Shell midden, largely truncated by later ploughing and other activities. A small excavation was carried out and details of this are described separately in an appendix to this report. A separate numbering system was set up for this. In summary the findings of the excavation where that this was probably was the residue of a shell midden associated with a microlithic industry. The features were severely truncated by later activity including an active mole population, making interpretation of individual features impossible. <2>
The NGRs given in <2> and <3> would seem to be incorrect. The NGR used resembles a site much closer to the easement of the pipeline, and calculated from maps supplied by J Wordworth. These will be lodged in the NMRS. <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wordsworth, J. 1992. 'Milton of Culloden', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1992, p.42. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 42. 42.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J. 11/1992. Inverness - Dingwall British Gas Pipeline 1992: A report on Archaeological Discoveries made on the route of this pipeline from June until October 1992. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. Digital (scanned as PDF). Site 46.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7052 4664 (50m by 50m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- ASSEMBLAGE (Mesolithic - 8000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/85402 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.