MHG18526 - Township, Ardroe
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC02SE 12 centred on 070 237
A township comprising seven roofed and four unroofed buildings, five enclosures, a field and several lengths of wall is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet lxix). Three roofed and two unroofed buildings and some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 8 September 1995
Surveyed by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in December 2009. The township comprises five buildings, one of which was a large dwelling house. A circular drystone sheep bucht was also recorded. Numerous stone dykes forming field boundaries and enclosures are visible here. Frequent clearance cairns are also visible on improved areas of associated land. <1>
<1> Cavers, G & Hudson, G, 05/2010, Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the the parish, 82, p.104 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24882.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 0700 2370 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/89518 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.