MHG1860 - Chapel, Mid Clyth
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
ND23NE 4 2956 3723.
Chapel (NR) (Remains of) Graveyard (NAT)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 1st ed., (1871)
Chapel (NR) (site of) Cross Slab (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1977)
'Caithness Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. Published 1992.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
The remains of a Roman Catholic chapel, in good preservation, the walls about 3ft high.
Name Book 1871.
A tall grey slab, 6ft 6ins high by 1ft 9ins by 6ins, with a Celtic cross incised on its SW face, stands near the centre of Mid Clyth graveyard. (See also ND23NE 5.)
There are no remains of the chapel to be seen. The grave yard is still in use. The cross slab, as described by the RCAHMS, is at ND 2955 3724.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (A A) 5 May 1967.
The chapel was not located, the graveyard is still in use, and the cross-slab is largely moss-covered.
C E Batey 1982.
- --- SHG1839 Text/Publication/Monograph: A S Cowper & I Ross. 1992. Caithness Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 4.
- --- SHG1960 Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . Nos. 226-7.
- --- SHG2664 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 81, No. 295; illust.
- --- SHG3390 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 6, 193.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2953 3727 (152m by 174m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM614 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8602 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.