MHG18619 - Findspot of strap end from Ashaig, Skye
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
A finely decorated bronze strap-end was found by Martin Wildgoose, Dunan, in a rabbit scrape in the churchyard at Ashaig. The strap-end is elaborately decorated on both sides with pellet, interlace and foliate based designs, suggesting an 11th century AD date. It has been deposited with Dualchas, Skye and Lochalsh Museums Service. Accn No: 1994.1.
Sponsors: Dualchas, Skye & Lochalsh District Council & Museums Service, National Museum of Antiquities.
Within the Skye and Localsh Archive Centre. Acc. No. 1994.1. <1>
This strap end is pictured on Am Baile. See links below. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Dualchas. 1994. 'Ashaig (Strath parish): strap-end', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1994, p.43. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 43. 43; photograph: fig. 21.
- <1> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre. 1994.1.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Highland Council. 2010. Am Baile website. 12820, 12822.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6869 2420 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- STRAP END (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/87768 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/search/do_quick_search.html?q=12821&mime_type= (Link to online Am Baile record)
- https://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/search/do_quick_search.html?q=12822&mime_type= (Link to online Am Baile record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.