MHG18708 - Black Isle Airfield

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • MILITARY AIRFIELD SITE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Also known as Blackstand. A few buildings are extant. Photos in J A Guy, 20th Century Defences, (report nos. 1, 8 & 11)
A M Fox, Highland Council, 10.10.01.

NH76SW 21 715 605

Sometimes referred to as Fortrose, after the nearest town where the personnel were billeted and officially opened in August 1941.
As soon as the European war ended, its use for storage gave way to the breaking up of surplus aircraft the airfield closed down soon after the last aircraft had left in October 1945. The land is now a Forestry Commission nursery but several buildings survive.
D J Smith 1983. <1>

A short film about this site features on the YouTube website, described as thus: A local resident, Billy McKay, talks about the history of Blackstand, life at "The Bothy" in its heyday and goes on to show us the unusual grafitti art done by the residents there. <2>

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7149 6050 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH76SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish ROSEMARKIE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.