MHG18724 - Drummondreach
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- QUARRY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- (Alternate Type) PREACHING SITE? (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1843 AD to 1990 AD)
- None recorded
NH55NE 31 5808 5756
Quarry for extracting red sandstone used for building. Age unknown, probably modern.
J Wordsworth, SSSIs, Scottish Natural Heritage, 1993.
Depicted on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. <1>
Information from a participant in the Black Isles Heritage Memory project suggests that this old quarry was the focus for Dissenters' services from 1843 onwards. Still used in the 1930's for services held in Gaelic, followed by communal gathering with those attending the services in spoken English, held within the Free Church building. The site was cleared of undergrowth in 1982 & has been used for outdoor services since. The previously suggested site (MHG18688) contains a small building, which is visible in photographs of preaching in the later history of this site. The exact location of the preaching site, must, therefore, remain speculative. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5807 5756 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/90263 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.