MHG18688 - 1843 Meeting Site, Drummondreach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- PREACHING SITE? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH55NE 33 580 577
(NH 579 577) An open bowl shaped area, used by the early Free Church congregation as a place of worship following the Disruption of 1843, until the construction of a new church about one mile to the west. There is a small service building which was used by the minister preparing himself for the service. In 1990 there was a one-off revival service.
J Wordsworth, SSSIs, Scottish Natural Heritage, 1993
Information from a participant in the Black Isle Heritage Memories project. Disused quarry became focus for Dissenters' services from 1843 onwards. Still used in the 1930s for services held in Gaelic, followed by communal gathering with those attending the services in spoken English, held within the Free Church building. The site was cleared of undergrowth in 1982 & has been used for outdoor services since. <1>
<1> suggests that the preaching site was at the disused quarry at NH 58078 57560 (shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey) - see MHG18724. However, the photographs attached to this record show the small service building, which is presumably the one shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map onwards at NH 57989 57701. <2><3>
- --- SHG18914 Image/Photograph(s): Photograph of 1990 service at Ferintosh Burn (image taken from colour print photo lent by Kenneth Cormack - 2003). Digital Image. .
- --- SHG3506 Text/Publication/Volume: Christopher J Uncles.. Easter Ross and the Black Isle..
- --- SHG3515 Text/Publication/Volume: Leonella Longmore. Land of Churches. p153.
- <1> SHG24970 Text/Report: McCullagh, C. 09/2010. Black Isle Heritage Memories: Remembering your Community Avoch, Culbokie and Tore. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. C64.
- <2> SHG24799 Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
- <3> SHG23422 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5800 5770 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/90265 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.