MHG18778 - Township, Dubh Chlais
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
NC12SW 6 centred on 121 229
A township comprising seven unroofed buildings, four enclosures and several lengths of wall, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet lxx). Six unroofed buildings, three enclosures and some walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1992).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 8 September 1995
Surveyed by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in December 2009. This site occupies flat, low lying ground near small streams, within improved pasture surrounded by heather moor. There is some evidence of cultivation marks at base of hills to NW. Several structures are located within the township; they are generally poorly preserved.
Building A: a rectangular structure, 8m by 3.5m and 0.45m high. The walls are 0.7m wide, and the structure is aligned E-W.
Structure B: A rectangular structure 9m by 10m and 1.1m high. The walls are 0.6m wide; a stock pen sructure lies adjacent.
Structure C: A rectangular structure 3m by 4m and 0.3m high. The internal area deepens markedly, containing a possible stone lined pit; its purpose is not clear. The structure is oriented E-W.
Structure D: a very ruinous building with dimensions approximately 10m by 4m and 0.3m high with an E-W orientation.
Structure E: A platform 17m long by 5m wide and 1m high. The purpose of this feature is not clear.
Structure F: This wall is a partial remnant of a larger feature aligned N/S, comprised of large vertically set stones.
Feature G: A curvilinear earth and stone bank forming an enclosure within the site complex. The enclosure measures 23m by 2.2m and the banck stands to 1m in height.
Building H: a rectangular sturcture measuring 9m by 5m ans standing to 0.45m in height.
Structure I: Wall remains measuring 19m by 10m and standing 0.6m high. The rubble of the wall, which is ruinous in places, spreads to 1.5m in width. The wall forms an enclosure.
Buildings J and K: two structures located on a river terrace overlooking the township, aligned SW to NE. Structure J comprises a longhouse, and measures 22m long by 6m wide and stands 1.5m high; its walls are 0.8m wide. Three internal compartments were identified. The building featues a small lintened opening into the main compartments; no other entrances are visible. Building K measures 12m by 5m and 0.5m high with walls measuring 0.6m wide. The structure is oriented NE to SW, is rectangular in plan with rounded corners. There is no visible sign of the entrance into the main internal space. Building J may have been accessed through small lintelled compartment at SE end of building. The walls of both J and K comprise two wall faces with rubble fill, incorporating very large field boulders.
Structure M is a ruinous stone walled enclosure, measuring 20m square. The walling is poorly preserved, measuring 0.6m wide to 0.45m in height. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NC 1210 2290 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/89557 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.