MHG1879 - Possible Broch, Ha' of Greenland
Site of a possible broch. The site is now so severely degraded no positive interpretation can be given to the site.
Type and Period (2)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- (Alternate Type) MOUND (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
All that is to be seen at this site in an E-facing field is an isolated rise on a change of slope. It measures approx 45m diameter by 1m high, and is ploughed over with rest of the field. The vegetation cover on the rise is indistinguishable from the surrounding land.
Visited by OS (J M) 27 April 1982.
(ND 2490 6709) Mound (NR) (site of) OS 25" map, (1967)
There are now no definite traces of this feature except for a slight rise in ground. The only info which could be obtained locally is that the field in which it lies is known as 'Back Cairnfield'.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 17 February 1965.
Mound (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)
Broch (supposed), Ha' of Greenland: This artificial mound is much reduced by ploughing. There is no definite indication of its character, but it probably covers remains of a broch (RCAHMS 1911).
Listed as an uncertain example of a broch (Graham 1949).
RCAHMS 1911; A Grham 1949.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 22, No. 64 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Graham, A, 1949, 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99, 96 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1531.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 96.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 22, No. 64.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2489 6709 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8828 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.