MHG188 - Fairy Hillock Chambered Cairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Grid Reference ND 1637 5438 corrected to ND 16376 54389
ND15SE 3 1637 5438
(ND 1637 5438) Fairy Hillock (NAT) Chambered Cairn (NR)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
Fairy Hillock is a short horned cairn, possibly of Orkney-Cromarty type. It is now an oval, turf-covered mound about 6ft high, measuring 60ft ENE-WSW by 39ft transversely. The edges are clearly defined, but there has been some disturbance at the centre. A hollow runs across ENE end of mound, and in centre of this lies a large flat slab 20ft from the ENE edge. The hollow probably represents the original face of the forecourt, and the slab may be a lintel fallen forward from the outer end of a passage entered from the ENE. It could formerly be seen to rest on two jambs. About the middle of the SSE side sheep- rubbing has exposed a stretch of walling which probably faced the outside of the SSE horn. The exposed stretch lies 7ft within the cairn edge and runs 5ft from E to W diverging from the axes of the cairn. It is of neat, thin slabs, seven courses or 1ft high.
About 5ft within the walling the cairn material is exposed. It consists of masses of thin slabs set parallel and almost vertical, their upper edges tilted slightly outwards. they run ENE-WSW in straight lines for at least 11ft.
There are no indications of horns at the WSW end of the cairn.
RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963
Fairy Hillock, a short horned cairn, is as described above.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 8 November 1965
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 9 February 1982
Chambered cairn, Fairy Hillock. Dimensions: 16 x 12m. Short horned cairn comprising an oval mound, with signs of a chamber on the top.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 32, No. 100 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 271, CAT 24 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S, 1991, The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents, 112-13, no. 24; plan (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2115.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 112-13, no. 24; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 32, No. 100.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 271, CAT 24.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1637 5438 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:528 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM528 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8337 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.