MHG18816 - Na H-Innsean
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- None recorded
NC22SE 15 254 226
'Pasture ground…' 'The Cattle Pasture Fields'
Name Book 1878 <1>
What may be an enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet lxxi), but is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1963).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 18 October 1995
Visited by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in December 2009, two irregularly shaped enclosures were recorded, situated on a flat terrace of a west-facing slope overlooking Loch Assynt. Both are aligned NNW-SSE and are surrounded by mostly turfed over earth and stone banks. 89A, situated to the south-east of 89B, is the larger of the enclosures at 135m long with a width of 24.2m at the southern end and 80m at the northern end. It is an irregular
shape with 1m wide banks reaching up to 0.6m high on average. The banks of 89B are 1.5m wide and up to 1m high in places, with much more stone present than in enclosure 89A, but the overall size is much smaller at 70m x 50m. <2>
The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows just the larger enclosure to the E. Both enclosures are visible on modern aerial photography. <3>, <4>
<1> Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book no. 1, 132 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3339.
<2> Cavers, G & Hudson, G, 05/2010, Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the the parish, 89, p.107-108 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24882.
<3> Ordnance Survey, 1878, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Sutherland (Image/Map). SHG23446.
<4> ESRI, ESRI World Imagery (Dataset/Geospatial Data). SHG24675.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book no. 1, 132.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 89, p.107-108.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1878. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
- <4> Dataset/Geospatial Data: ESRI. ESRI World Imagery.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2534 2266 (265m by 159m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/89598 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.