MHG1882 - Hut Circle, Links of Dunnet
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
(A: ND 2239 6958; B: ND 2242 6954) Hut Circles (NR)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
A hut circle, with a bank 13-14ft thick and an internal diameter of 31ft. The 2ft 6ins wide entrance is visible on SE for a length of 6ft 4ins, faced on either side with flags. In interior several thin slabs are set edge-wise against bank.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
A hut circle (A) covered with grass-grown blown sand. It measures about 10.0m internal diameter with the wall spread to an indeterminate thickness. The position of the inner face is visible as a distinct grassy ridge although no stones protrude. Four thin slabs on edge each 0.6m long, two in the N arc, two in the S arc, 3m apart, are placed at right angles to line of inner face and abut onto it and are obviously part of internal division s or structures. The entrance in ESE, 0.7m wide, is flanked on either side by stone slabs on edge. It can be seen for a length of 2m but its outer end is not visible and the original length of the passage cannot be ascertained.
About 50m to SE is another ill-defined hut (B), measuring 14m in diameter between centres of a sand-covered wall spread to a width of 5m all round. The entrance is not evident. A small excavation in NW arc has exposed some stones in wall. There is no trace of contemporary cultivation.
Visited by OS (I S S) 9 March 1972.
'A': A subcircular, grass-covered structure, 15 by 17m externally and 9 by 9m internally, with two orthostats, 0.75m apart, at entrance in SE. Several upright slabs are set radially in interior
Impinging on E is another subcircular structure measuring 9 by 8m externally and 6 by 5m internally, with some stone visible. (no 553b) 'B': A large, circular, grass-covered structure, 20m diameter, with a possible entrance on W and some stone visible in centre. (no 554) (Mercer incorporates these features in his prehistoric settlement - ND26NW 15.)
R J Mercer 1981.
Two hut circles as described by previous OS field investigator.
Visited by OS (N K B) 6 July 1982.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 25, No. 67 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2238 6958 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8831 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.