MHG18906 - Drove stance - E of Achkeepster, Baledavist
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- DROVE STANCE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Two conjoined enclosures, one of which contains cultivated ground, are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xxiii), but they are not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1976).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 23 November 1995
Only enclosures shown at this general GR are on the E side of the road. GR corrcted to above from 1st ed OS. <1>
Hooper: Drovers appear to have converged on this area before moving south; the enclosures on the other side of the road to Achkeepster were used as holding pens (Innes Miller pers comm). <2>
This site was visited by D Glass in 2012. It was described as a stock enclosure adjacent to the A9 road and lying to the east of it. The Mybster electricity sub-station was immediately north of the site. The enclosure was in the form of a parallelogram of dimensions 154 metres by 67 metres. Earthen dykes contained the enclosure and divided it into two compartments of approximately equal size. The dykes had spread to a width of two to three metres and were reduced to a height of one metre or less. There were openings in the west and east walls of the northern compartment. <3>
The banks of the enclosre were breached and recorded by AOC Archaeology Group in 2017-18 during groundworks for a new electricity cable and circuit breaker housing for the adjacent Mybster substation. <4>
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Hooper, J.. 02/2001. Achkeepster, Caithness, Location of Proposed Windfarm: An Archaeological Assessment. Janet Hooper. 27/03/2001. Paper and Digital. p.6.
- <3> Text/Record Form: Glass, D. 2012. Achkeepster Drove Stance. Yes. Digital.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Fraser, L. & Peteranna, M.. 2018. Bad a Cheo Wind Farm and Achkeepster Drovers’ Enclosure, near Mybster, Caithness: Archaeological Watching Brief, Data Structure Report. AOC Archaeology Group. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1696 5160 (102m by 187m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (4)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/90834 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.