MHG1899 - St. Bar's Chapel, Barrock
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
There was a chapel, dedicated to St Bar, who died in 579, at Barrock. A MacKay 1914; W J Watson 1926.
Mr Pottiger (tenant, Barrock Mains Farm, Lyth) states that the field centred at ND 291 622 is known as 'Chapel Field', but he has never encountered any evidence of a structure during cultivation.
Visited by OS (J B) 7 May 1982.
- --- SHG2457 Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D (ed.). 1914. History of the Province of Caithness and Sutherland from the Earliest Times to 1615. 32.
- --- SHG2918 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1926. The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916. 338.
- --- SHG3470 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2909 6220 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8849 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.