MHG1900 - Site of Broch, Halcro Manse
Site of extensively robbed broch. Human remains were discovered in late C19 excavations.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
'Broch', Halcro. Dimensions: 47 x 33m. Grass-covered mound 2m high robbed substantially on NE and SW flanks. N tip has traces of walling. The mound has a flat top, diameter 16m.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
The turf-covered remains of broch and presumed exterior structures are now evident as a typical Caithness 'mound-on-mound'. The hummocky lower mound, an effect caused by robbing and probable structural collapse, measures 47m NW-SE by 33m with an average height of 0.6m. It has been somewhat reduced in size by ploughing. The higher broch mound is about 18m diameter across its flat top and 2.3m high. It is sited at SW end of surviving lower mound. A stretch of wall is evident running down flank of mound on NE side.
Visited by OS (J B) 6 May 1982
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 6" map, (1970)
The mound, situated in a level pasture field at 200ft OD, is generally as described above, except that it has a maximum external diameter of about 40m and a flat top to mound, some 16m diameter. It has been extensively mutilated in NE and E sides and erosion in S slopes has revealed a content of stones which may be remains of walling. Topographical position of this feature is suggestive of a broch.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 29 October 1965
This grassy mound, c10ft high and 66ft diameter, probably contains remains of a broch, although ONB (1872) notes that a quantity of human remains was found when it was opened on S side. Apart from slight robbing on NE and SW it is well preserved, with a flat top and quite steeply scarped sides (RCAHMS 1911).
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910
ND26 6 HALCRO ND/2389 6119
Possible broch in Bower, Caithness, consisting of a grassy mound about 3.0m (10ft) high, 20.1m (66ft) in diameter  and with a flat top. Pits have been dug into it on the north-east and south-west sides, and the finding of human remains is recorded . A recent report diagnosed the site as a mound on a platform about 60cm high .
Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 26 SW 1: 2. RCAHMS 1911b, 1, no. 1. <1>
- --- SHG2664 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 1, No. 1.
- --- SHG3339 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 1, 26.
- <1> SHG26111 Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. ND26 6 HALCRO.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2388 6118 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
- HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM556 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8850 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.