MHG19102 - Possible Township - Am Breac-Leathaid
Township, enclosures, unroofed structures at Am Breac-Leathaid
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC51SE 68 centred on 588 122
What may be a township comprising three unroofed structures, four enclosures and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet lxxxvi). One unroofed structure attached to an enclosure is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 October 1995
New information about this site was gathered during a walkover survey that took place between November 2010 and January 2011. Please see the linked report for full details. <2>
In June 2015, a walkover survey was undertaken by Anne Coombs on behalf of the Forestry Commission Scotland to identify and demarcate archaeological sites in advance of the clear felling of a conifer plantation.
The only part of the site within the work area is the SE corner of the head dyke of a township or enclosure and a small structure possibly a small enclosure or unroofed structure as depicted on the 1st Edition OS map. Below standing trees, 2 walls survive extending c.5m SW-NE and c.5m NW-SE c.2.5m wide and up to c.0.75m high. It is difficult to see if other walls survive as there is some windblow in the area. The head dyke/enclosure wall may also survive below dense regen. to the N and the windblow to the SW. The walls were marked by gps, taped and photographed. Part of the wall is covered with bracken. The rest of the township lies to the N of the forestry track and has been clear felled. <3>
1st Edition OS 6" <4>
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Peteranna, M.. 02/2011. Archaeological survey of Dalchork Forest, Lairg, Sutherland: Archaeological Walkover Survey. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 106.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Peteranna, M. 02/2011. Archaeological survey of Dalchork Forest, Lairg, Sutherland: Archaeological Walkover Survey. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 106.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Coombs, A.. 2015. Pre-felling Walkover Survey, South Dalchork: June 2015. Forestry Commision Scotland. 24/1/2021. Digital. XY
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Coombs, A.. 2015. Pre-felling Walkover Survey, North Dalchork: June 2015. Forestry Commission Scotland. 24/1/2021. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5873 1218 (578m by 488m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/91131 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.