MHG1912 - Latheron Old Church
C18 church built on the site of a C13 church. It is now used as a museum.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
Church (NAT) OS 6" map, (1959)
An 18th century parish church, and a fragment of its predecessor, apparently occupying the site of a 13th century church. Latheron was one of the churches reserved to the bishop in a charter of 1223 x 45, and in 1515 the vicar of Latheron is on record but intermediate references appear to be lacking. A new church was built about 1734, part of its predecessor being retained in the rear to serve as a burial place of the Sinclairs of Dunbeath. Known as 'The Aisle', this fragment presents no features of architectural interest, although a 17th century monument with an effaced Latin inscription is built into the wall. No stones of interest are visible in the churchyard. A belfry was added to the church in 1822 in which the bell from the 17th century bell tower (ND23SW 5) was installed.
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910; Name Book 1871; G Hay 1957.
(ND 2022 3329) The Aisle (NR)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office
New aisle and gallery in Latheron Church. Estimate of wright and masonwork (copy). 1815 GD 136/706/2
Proposed new aisle in the church at Latheron. An arch in the North wall is to be examined and measured in order to decide if an aisle and gallery may be added. 1815 GD 136/706/1
Repair of the Parish Church. Letter from Sir William Dunbar of Hempriggs. He complains that the Heritors have demanded £24 (Scots) from him. 1765 GD 214/722/1/1
A burial aisle as described, about 4 m square, attached to the S side of Latheron Old Church.
Visited by OS (R L) 6 March 1968.
The church and burial ground were listed at Category B in 1971.
Tne old church and the aisle were scheduled in 1973.
Built into S wall of 'The Aisle' is a piece of worked sandstone resembling a window head. (Latheron Church, Burial Aisle, and Graveyard are all listed - Category B.) <1>
The scheduling was amended in 2011 to exclude the upstanding elements of the 18th-century church. <2>
The scheduled area was specifically removed from the listing in August 2015 as part of a project looking at dual designations of sites in the Highlands. <3>
ND23SW0046 (MHG31350) Graveyard
- --- SHG2307 Text/Publication/Volume: Hay, G. 1957. The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843. 173.
- --- SHG2664 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 48, No. 184.
- --- SHG3390 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 6, 254.
- --- SHG342 Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 763.
- --- SHG3470 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
- --- SHG3937 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- <1> SHG1960 Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . No. 253.
- <2> SHG25593 Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Scotland. 23/11/2011. Amended Entry in the Schedule of Monuments: The Monument known as Ltheron Old Church and Aisle. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <3> SHG27388 Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Jackson, L.. 2015. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, Two Hundred and Sixth Amendment) 2015. Historic Scotland. 04/09/2015. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2022 3331 (24m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7952 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3295 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8657 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.