MHG1913 - Bell Tower - Latheron

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BELL TOWER (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Bell Tower (NAT) OS 6" map, (1959)

A rectangular tower which probably dates from the end of the 17th century. It is 7ft square, 22 to 24ft in height topped by a pyramidical roof. There are oblong openings, 4 by 2ft, for the emission of the sound of its bell, which was removed about 1825.
RCAHMS 1911.

The bell tower was Scheduled in 1933.

Bell tower, as described. Visited by OS (R L) 6 March 1968.

The building was Listed at Category B in 1971.

The tower ceased to be used in 1822 when its bell was removed to the new belfry in the parish church (ND23SW 4).
G Hay 1957.

As part of the Historic Environment Scotland Dual Designations Project it was proposed in 2016 that the building would be de-scheduled though it would remain as a Listed Building. <1>


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 78, No. 283 (Text/Report). SHG2664.


Hay, G, 1957, The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843, 173 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2307.


<1> Jackson, L., 2016, Assessment for Dual designations Project: Unish House (Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings). SHG27633.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 2022 3381 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND23SW
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (5)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.