MHG19191 - Military installation / Boom Defence, An Fhaighear Mhoir
Second World War military installation, possibly a boom depot. Now a scientific research station related to fisheries.
Type and Period (2)
- MILITARY INSTALLATION (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- BOOM DEFENCE (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
Described by J A Guy (in 20th Century Defences, (report nos. 1, 8 & 11)) as the remains of the Boom Depot and now a Government Research Station.
See MHG19188 (NG88NW0003) & 5 for associated WW2 remains.
A M Fox, Highland Council, 09.10.01.
Planning app 04/00111/OUTRC to demolish much of the site and replace with house - HAW 2/2004
Military site comprising c.13 buildings shown on aerial photograph (sortie CPE/SCOT/UK/284 number 4461) flown 1947. Polygon represents extent of site as discernable from this photograph. Modern aerial photographs suggest the location of most buildings still survive as concrete bases although the site has now been reused as a Government scientific research station. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8218 8834 (180m by 168m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/91049 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.