MHG19199 - Thuster Mains
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
GR corrected to above from 1st ed OS. Irregular enclosure with old field lines to S - HAW 8/2003
ND35SW 29 303 506
An enclosure and a length of field wall are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xxiv), but they are not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1994).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 January 1996
Identified during field survey by CFA Archaeology in 2010 in advance of the proposed Camster Windfarm. This found the site to comprise of the largely collapsed and overgrown remains of a two roomed drystone structure with an adjacent possible wall/enclosure. The structure has two surviving faced courses and measures 0.2m in height. The structure runs for 8m east-west and 3m north-south with a north facing entrance way situated 2.5m from the eastern gable. The entranceway is 0.5m in width, with the walls measuring 0.7m in thickness. The internal partition is located 2.5m from the eastern gable. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3028 5062 (30m by 34m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/90935 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.