MHG19211 - Bonar Bridge, Old Bridge (1892)

Summary

Built in 1892 to replace Telford's 1812 bridge. This bridge was itself replaced by the present bridge in 1973.

Type and Period (1)

  • BRIDGE (Built, 19th Century - 1892 AD to 1893 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, pp. 45-49) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974

J Aitken : 19/2/2004
------

This bridge was designed by Crouch and Hogg, and built by Arrol following the collapse (in January 1892) of the Telford bridge (NH69SW 61). It was built on a gradient of 1 in 50, and comprised three iron girder spans of 70, 150 and 140ft (21.3, 45.7 and 42.7m, respectively). It was replaced by the present structure (NH69SW 62.00) in 1973. G Nelson 1990. <1>

This bridge formerly carried the A9 (T) public road over the Kyle of Sutherland, which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Kincardine and Creich.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 5 May 1998.

Reference from architecture catalogue slip;
Architect:- Thos. Telford (1803-21) Destroyed 1892
Sir William Arrol 1893 (present bridge)

Nothing visible during field survey. Possible platform remains next to picnic site. <2>

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6093 9152 (106m by 41m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH69SW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish CREICH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.