MHG19243 - Spinningdale Wood

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CROFTING TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH69SE 31 centred on 684 901

A crofting township comprising one unroofed, one partially roofed and eight roofed buildings and some fields is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879-81, sheet cxii). Some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 16 November 1995

This township lies largely outside an area surveyed by Headland Archaeology (NMRS MS 899/25 no.15). Although four buildings and associated enclosures and fields were depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet cxii) within the survey area, they were obscured by dense gorse and not visited.
S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.15

NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5sq km of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874.
NH 6815 9015 Township. (NMRS NH 69 SE 31)
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Carter 1997

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6839 9010 (140m by 140m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH69SE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish CREICH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.