MHG19300 - Township - Kyleoag
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH69SE 33 centred on 662 912
A township, comprising two roofed buildings, eight unroofed buildings, four enclosures and some field walls, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879-81, cxi). Two roofed buildings, six unroofed buildings, four enclosures and some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 22 November 1995.
This township was visited during the course of a forestry survey by Headland Archaeology (NMRS MS 899/25, no.3) and remains largely as depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879-81, sheet cxi). The township is largely obscured by dense birch, bracken and tall heather. Buildings were noted in four areas. There are two isolated buildings; a single long building (at NH 6596 9135) has been cut through by a forestry track whilst a rectangular stone wall footing lies in dense birch woodland at NH 6606 9106. There is a group of five rectangular buildings on either side of a burn between NH 6634 91 9124 and NH 6645 9124. The two buildings on the W of the burn measure 7m by 3m and 19m by 4m respectively. There is an enclosure attached to the latter building. On the E of the burn, there are a further three buildings, measuring 9m by 4m, 14m by 4m and 19m by 4m with an adjacent enclosure. A possible kiln barn, measuring 9.5m by 4m with its bowl infilled with stones, lies between these buildings and the burn to the W, at NH 6640 9125. A fourth group of structures cluster around the edges of the chambered cairn (NH69SE 42) at NH 6652 9104. On the E of the cairn, there is a building measuring 18m by 4m with an enclosure on the N. To the S there is a further building measuring 8m by 4m with an enclosure on its E. To the W of the cairn, there are three small rectangular buildings dug into the cairn.
The field-system survives as substantial rubble-walls and there are circular enclosures attached to the boundaries in two places.
The township is named Kyleoag by Forbes (1820), Coilleoag by Burnett and Scott (1853) and Coillenuadh on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (1879).
S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.3
NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5km2 of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874.
NH 662 911 Township. (NMRS NH 69 SE 33)
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Carter 1997
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Carter, S. 1997. 'Ledmore and Migdale (Creich parish), pre-afforestation survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.45. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 45. 45.
- --- Image/Map: Burnett, G and Scott, W. 1833. Map of the county of Sutherland made on the basis of the trigonometrical survey of Scotland in the years 1831,1832.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Forbes W. 1820. Sutherlandshire.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Thomson, J. 1823. Sutherlandshire.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6619 9120 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/91383 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.