MHG19304 - Spinningdale Burn

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH69SE 37 6642 9058

A single unroofed building is depicted on 1st edition of OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879-81, cxi), and it is also shown on current edition of OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 22 November 1995.

This rectangular building was visited during course of a forestry survey by Headland Archaeology (NMRS MS 899/25, no.9). Defined by coursed-rubble walls standing up to 1.2m in height, this building measures 12m by 4m and has one internal partition. It lies immediately outside a plantation bank where a stream is led through a culvert under the bank and channelled down beside the W gable of the building.
S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.9

NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5sq km of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874.
NH 6642 9058 Building. (NMRS NH 69 SE 37)
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Carter 1997

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6642 9058 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH69SE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish CREICH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.