MHG19305 - Rivra
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A farmstead, comprising two roofed buildings, two unroofed building and an enclosure, is depicted on 1st edition of OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879-81, cxi). It is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 22 November 1995.
This farmstead was visited during a pre-afforestation survey by Headland Archaeology in 1997. The westernmost building is a recent farmhouse (at NH 6679 9082) and measures 10m by 4.5m with a byre, measuring 14m by 3.5m attached to the E end. The walls of the farmhouse are of mortared rubble and stand to their eaves. The windows and doors are finished in dressed stone and there is a gable hearth and flue. To the E, there is a rectangular turf and stone footing overlain by a 5m by 2m rubble-built building. Further E, there is an 8m by 4m rubble building standing up to 1.5m in height. At NH 67039079, there is an isolated rubble footing measuring 6m by 3m and to the S at NH 6699 9072, there are two further structures. One comprises a rounded rectangular turf-and-stone footing measuring 11m by 4.5m with a 7m by 3.5m stone extension on the E end. A 5m by 4m rectangular structure lies to the W of this building. <1>
Photographs were taken by Andrew Puls during a site visit in 2008. <2>
A basic photographic record of the ruined building was produced by Torrance Partnership for the Woodlands Trust as a condition on a planning application for new vehicle access, a new access road and a new open timber shelter within the existing ruin. <3>
This farmstead is known locally as Torroy. One previous occupant was reputedly a teacher at the National School in Spinningdale. Some of the remains have been converted by the Woodland Trust into an educational resource centre, with open walls. <4>
- <1> SHG21339 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J/Carter S. 1997. Forestry Survey: Ledmore & Migdale, Spinningdale, Sutherland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. 05/02/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <2> SHG23993 Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital.
- <3> SHG26450 Image/Photograph(s): Woodlands Trust. 2011. Photographic record, Torroy Croft, Spinningdale. Colour. Digital.
- <4> SHG28299 Dataset/Database File: Susan Kruse. 2014. Ledmore and Migdale Memories Project. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6679 9083 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/91388 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.