MHG194 - Hut Circle, Achlachan Moss
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
The remains of a hut circle lie about 1 1/2 mls W of Mybster Inn, on the N side of, and some 20 yds from, the road to Westerdale. It has been circular, measuring 12ft in diameter within a bank or wall some 4 to 6ft in thickness. The inner outline of the bank is marked by large stones placed end to end a foot or so apart, and a similar arrangement appears to have characterised the outer circumference, which, however, is much overgrown with grass. The entrance has probably been from the SW, but the bank in that direction has been broken down.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910
ND 1459 5262. The hut circle is as described above.
Surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (E G C) 14 April 1962.
(ND 1459 5262) Hut Circle (NR) OS 6" map, (1963)
Recent land improvement has destroyed the hut circle.
Visited by OS (J M) 15 November 1981.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 35-6, No. 118 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Wordsworth J, 1997, An Archaeological Survey of a proposed plantation at Dale Farm, Halkirk, Caithness (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG20984.
Wordsworth, J, 1997, Archaeological Survey of Proposed Woodland at Dale Farm, Halkirk, Caithness (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2947.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J. 1997. An Archaeological Survey of a proposed plantation at Dale Farm, Halkirk, Caithness. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 10/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 35-6, No. 118.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wordsworth, J. 1997. Archaeological Survey of Proposed Woodland at Dale Farm, Halkirk, Caithness.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1459 5262 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8345 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.